Tuesday, March 12, 2024

I want a movie buddy again...

A long time ago,

In a galaxy far, far away,

Or better known as Gainesville, Florida circa 1995-1999,

I had a movie buddy.

It was a great four years with my movie buddy and me.

We went to practically every movie released in those four fun years.

We saw everything from The Birdcage to Titanic to Sense and Sensibility and everything in between.

We laughed.

We cried.

We only spent $3.50 a ticket because we were both poor so we only went to the cheap showings.

But then one day, I realized I was gay,

And my movie buddy soon became no more.

She was afraid of gay-me.

I might find her attractive, you see.

She was very pretty, I do admit,

But I always saw my movie buddy as a big sis, not ever as a possible lover.

But being gay was just too much for my movie buddy,

Attraction to her or not,

Our movie-viewing days together were now forever over.

My wife has tried to be my movie buddy,

But we rarely have the same tastes in films.

Plus, she's a book person, and not a fan of the screen at all, really.

I still miss my movie buddy all the time.

Whenever a film comes out that I want to see,

I always think of her and wonder if she's watching that movie too.

I wonder if she found a new movie buddy,

Because I never did.

Maybe one day I will have a movie buddy again,

But until then,

I will be attending the cinema all alone...

Except,

A couple of weeks after I finished this poem,

The only movie theater in the town that I live in closed.

So, I guess if I'm going to have a movie buddy again,

This person needs to watch movies at home with me.

And if I would open my eyes and see,

That movie buddy of mine that I've been seeking,

Came into my life 16 months ago,

Because my son watches TV with me now.

We don't necessarily have the same taste,

Yet.

But it is nice to have a TV pal again.

Even if we mostly just watch Super Simple Songs on YouTube.

Hey, those songs may be simple,

But they are super good.